Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Red L me this. Red L me that.

W-HEY!! I am finaly seventeen years of age. This is an age I have been dreaming of for years. It's taken a long time, but I've finally got here. I'm finally allowed some freedom to go out into the world, a world were five miles isn't that far. I'm finally allowed to drive!!

Calm down dear, it's not that simple. 40 hours of driving lessons. Insurance. Fluffy dice. An actual car. Total cost, almost £4000. Trevor pick your jaw up off the floor.

Your average driving lesson could cost £25 an hour, multiply this by 40 hours and you've got £1000 excluding testing. Because teenagers are the irresponsible bastards everyone would like to believe, car insurance for a 17 year old is almost £2000, and this is just for a learner driver, if you buy an old banger the insurance generously goes down to about £1700. When you actually learn to drive, the insurance goes up because there isn't a 'more responsible' in the car with you. That's £2300 you have to pay before you even get in the car. Then there's the fuel. And the fluffy dice. And the servicing for the old banger you bought to lower the price of your learning insurance.

To get a job you need a degree in advanced particle physics which will probably get you the pretigious job of flipping burgers in the local greasy spoon. To get a degree in advanced particle physics you need to go to university. To get into university you need to go to college or sixth form. To stay in college or sixth form you need to study and not work. So unless you are destined to inherit a minor soverein state it is unlikely that four grand will find it's way to you while you are still seventeen. Sure, some of my associates are driving and have jobs, but they probably know the combination to the store safe and so this doesn't count.

So until I have my degree in something which title contains words I don't know exist, I will have to wait about another ten years before I can legaly sit behind a steering wheel. In which time the only thing I'll be able to do with my licence is take very strange photos with it.



Keep truckin'

Nitey nite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home